Τρίτη 4 Σεπτεμβρίου 2012

Our first blog-post in English!

Our first blog-post in English? What does this mean? Are we becoming international?
Well, not just yet!



The reason I’m writing this post in English is so that a Scandinavian friend of mine can read it, as the post is solely… for her!


So, let’s start from the beginning…

I have a friend from Scandinavia, Sanni. Sanni and I have been friends for a while now; it’s been almost twelve years. We met through a forum, realizing we had many things in common, most of those being our insecurities. One would ask how a girl from Athens can be friends with another girl living in Finland. Well, Sanni travels a lot and also loves Greece. So we met in person almost a year after we had “met” online and we have seen each other many times since, plus we have been writing each other letters all this time (I know what you’re thinking- that we must be the last two people on earth exchanging letters, rather than e-mails. Fortunately, letters suit us both the best!).

Ever since I have known Sanni, she has been an uneasy mind, meaning that she has always been following her dreams. She has changed jobs, she has taken art classes and attended a makeup school, she has started an amazing blog, she has changed cities three times. Sanni is a free spirit; you can’t tie her down. 
And now she is beginning her journey around the world. She quit her daily job in order to focus on her blog and in the meantime she will be exploring the planet. Her first stop is Athens!  Her next stop? Who knows? She is packing her backpack as you read this post, squeezing in both summer and winter clothes as she doesn’t know where her pursuit will take her. 



I’m not good at expressing my feelings in person, therefore, this is my chance to express my admiration to her decisiveness in written, via this post. In a way I envy her, but only in a good sense. She is brave, she is bold and she goes for whatever she thinks will suit her. After all, people change, their beliefs change, their interests change. So why not make a career change, or even follow a dream that won’t make any money for you, but will make you feel more content? 
Unfortunately, I have realized that I simply can’t do that. And it’s not the economic crisis that is holding me back from quitting my job and traveling the world. It’s the Greek mentality that simply won’t let me. Greeks need to have some things in their lives fixed: A house to own (and pay taxes for), one or more expensive cars to drive (and pay the most expensive gasoline in Europe for), a steady job, if not a permanent job as a public servant (and never worry about getting fired).  And although I don’t own a house, I don’t drive an expensive car and I am definitely not a public servant I still can’t be as brave as she is. 
It was a small step, quitting her job. She was unhappy, felt she was suffocating and she went on to do it. And while I feel the same way about my job, I cannot quit, I’m hanging in there for as long as I can. 



All I can do is look up to her and also look forward to seeing her in a couple of weeks.

Sanni, I wish you all the best for your new beginning! Take lots of pictures, after all you’re excellent at it, and post them for us to see!

See you in two weeks!

You know who...

1 σχόλιο:

  1. I have so much tears in my eyes right now, and I should be on my way to work...! *the last 10 days before the trip* I will arrive at the store with mascara running down my face.... But I don't care! <3

    Marianna, thank you so much for this post and your words, I seriously feel chills down my spine for the beautiful things you have written. I cherish you so much as a friend, and I had no idea you had this kind of admiration for my... "dive into the unknown".... Thank you!

    I can't wait to be sharing a cup of hot tea or coffee with you in just a few weeks, discussing things of life in person again... No place would've been a better start for my trip than Athens!

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή